Walking helps you lose weight, improves blood circulation, improves posture, and helps you lose belly. The fast walk can burn up to 400 calories in 1 hour, which means that the person can lose up to 0.5 kg per week only with this exercise.
When walking regularly and is associated with a low-calorie diet prescribed by a nutritionist, the weight loss promoted by the walk is greater and can be between 1 to 2 kg per week. See a walking training routine.
The walk also has other health benefits that include: lowering cholesterol, increasing bone mass, and decreasing the risk of diabetes. Also, walking is indicated for individuals of any age and physical condition, as long as their limitations are respected. Learn more about the benefits of walking.
Tips to Lose Weight While Walking
In case the goal of walking is to lose weight it is important to follow some recommendations such as:
- Pay attention to the breath during the walk, inspiring through the nose and expiring through the mouth at a natural rate, this for the body to receive the oxygen it needs;
- Walk at least 30 minutes daily or 1 hour 3 times per week, keeping this activity regularly;
- Vary the intensity and speed of the walk;
- Always avoid doing the same route to get out of the monotony. A good strategy is to do it outdoors because it increases energy levels and allows the body to burn more calories;
- Wear appropriate clothing and shoes for physical activity;
- During the walk it is important to make the whole bodywork this is achieved by moving the arms according to the tread, contracting the abdomen and keeping the toes slightly elevated;
- It is important during the walk to drink water to stay hydrated;
In addition to this, before the walk it is important to perform a warm-up exercise to prepare the muscles for physical activity, thus avoiding injuries and improving performance. The warm-up should be done dynamically and progressively by performing exercises similar to those that will be done during training but in less intensity such as taking small jumps to warm the legs.
After the activity, it is important to stretch the muscles to decrease the risk of cramping and the concentration of lactic acid in the muscles. See the benefits of stretching and muscle warming.
What to Eat to Increase Weight Loss
To promote weight loss with the walk it is important to maintain a diet rich in fibers, fruits, vegetables, whole foods, and seeds such as chia and flaxseed. In addition to this, it is recommended to reduce the consumption of fats and sugars such as industrialized products, goodies, soft drinks, fast food, frozen food, and sausages. See some healthy recipes for weight loss.
During the walk, you should drink water to stay hydrated, and after physical activity, you should make a small snack with carbohydrates and proteins such as eating a low-fat yogurt with 4 Mary-type cookies or drinking a natural fruit juice with whole wheat bread and low cheese in fat See 10 fruits that help you lose weight.